Friday, January 23, 2009

My Son's Puppy Dog Birthday Cake

This is a picture of the cake I made for my oldest son on his 5th. birthday last year.He wanted his cake to look like his stuffed dog (on the right), so I had to get creative.

Here are a few thing I do to make it easier when baking theme cakes:


*Use a box mix (I used to do from scratch, but went back to a mix to save on time)
*For this cake, I baked the batter in a couple pans (bread sized, I believe), then ended up cutting the cake up and sticking it back togerther with frosting.
*Before frosting the cake, I stick it in the freezer for a couple hours. This makes it easier to cut up without having crumbs get everywhere.
*I buy my frosting from the bakery at a grocery store. I buy the buttercream type and am able to get it in very vidid colors.
*I also have some of the Wilton colorings on hand (available at cake stores & in the craft section of Wal-mart) if I need to alter a color a bit.
*Before doing the outer color of frosting on my cakes, I do a base coat over the entire thing. This helps the outer color to go on smoother and not have any crumbs showing.

9 comments:

  1. What an adorable cake!

    I have to admit, when I first read the title of your post I thought you meant you were baking a cake for your dog (my mom makes homemade dog treats). Oops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing that out- I had no clue until you mentioned it! I changed it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Morgan, did you just teach yourself to do shaped, decorated cakes?? Or did you take some kind of class or read a book?

    This is something I think I'd like to tackle - maybe with my kiddos as they start to get older. We could learn together.

    Turned out so cute - good job! I bet he loved it!!
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you're a regular pioneer woman, quilting and making your own cakes. the cake looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is great. You did a good job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! My grandmother was a professional cake decorator and I always marvelled at the creations she came up with. Unfortunately, I did not inherit the cake decorating gene! You did a great job! Rhonda at www.afriendlywelcome.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the how-to hints. I might actually try to tackle this project now. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cakes is so cute! I am trying to make one for my son's second birthday but his stuffed animal is much larger than your son's and I'm not sure how to make the cut outs. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable thinking of doing something similar for my sons 1st birthday next month i’ll be doing a test cake soon going to try using a homemade marshmallow fondant recipe i found online :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.