Monday, June 1, 2009

Reuse Your Disposable Swim Diapers!

With 4 kids, my family has gone through a lot of swim diapers over the past 5 years.
Last year I learned 2 helpful things about swim diapers that I didn't know before:

1. Reusable swim diapers exist. They're usually between $10-15 and they can be reused again and again!

2. You can reuse the disposable swim diapers! I doubt this is the "official" word regarding these, but it's true. If the swim diaper diaper is poopy, just pitch it. But if it's only wet, then just throw it into the wash along with your bathing suits and run them on gentle. Afterwords, just set them somewhere to dry and they're ready to go for the next time!

I've found that I can get at least 2 or 3 washes before the diaper starts to fall apart. Then you just throw it away and pull out a new one.

How about you? Do you wash and reuse your disposable swim diapers or just pitch them?

*By the way, the disposable swim diapers DO allow pee to pass through. I try to wait until right before we're ready to swim to dress my baby so I don't end up with a wet shirt holding her!

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You can wash those!!! I'm past the age of swimmy diapers with the kids (but hope to have more little bambinos someday). This is an interesting tip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea they could be reused. I will have to try this method. Especially since they are not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine told me a couple summers ago that they could be washed/dried and used at least 2 more times! I couldn't believe it!!! Those things get expensive when you're going through them so often!! I can usually get a whole month or two's use of out one pack of swim diapers by re-using them. But if they've pooped in them, yeah...into the trash they go.

    This is such a great tip and I'm glad you're sharing it with your readers who may not be aware of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So glad you told us! You'll save us a "butt load" :) of money!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ***From a reader that was having problems with getting a comment to show***

    Hi Morgan! What a great tip! I have some disposables that were given to me last year that I keep on hand just in case, but I picked up a few of the reusables at Target at the end of the season for $2 -$3 (and bought larger sizes because it was such a great deal!). With 2 littles in diapers, that are water lovers, the reusables were a great deal!

    Kristen
    www.kissykat.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of reusable swim diapers and they are nice. Only prob is that Asher enjoys doing his daily mess EVERY TIME we go swimming, so I have to use the disposables! I never knew you could reuse the others though, they are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use the cloth ones. We bought 2 and they sizes have a huge range. This is the second summer my son will be able to use them. I like having the second one as a backup if it gets poopy while we're at the pool.
    The cloth ones are also smaller so you don't see all the diaper sticking out the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool tip. I am going to pass this on to all of my mommy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suspect the swim diapers are just a placebo for the rest of us swimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow thanks for the tip! I just ordered a swim diaper (reusable) for my son, but its good to know that in a pinch I can justify getting a box of disposables and just reuse them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great tip, I have twins and was going thru 10$ of disposables a week, I now wash them and re-use at least twice if they do not poop in them, I wish I knew this with my first child. They do take a long time to dry though, some times I run them through the air cycle in the dryer before I lay them out.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.