Monday, September 28, 2009

Example of a C-Section Birth Plan



From trial and error, here is the birth plan I used for my 4th. c-section. Items in blue are things I did not include with my last birth plan but would like to try in the future, (should we someday be blessed with a 5th. child). Everything else on this plan was a go with my doctor and hospital last time. *Anything underlined in purple can be clicked to take you to more information on that subject.
**When you create your own birth plan, make sure you check with your hospital and provider as their policies may differ.

C-Section Birth Plan


During Surgery


*Catheter put in AFTER spinal (this is standard procedure at many hospitals)
*Volume down on heart monitor beeping
*Husband will photograph c-section

*One of the staff members from my dr.'s office will video tape Baby's birth
*I'm allergic to (x drug). Please make sure I am not given this drug.

*Warm blankets during surgery
*No sedatives after birth. I want to remember my Baby's first day of life.
*Please reinforce my uterus and use dissolvable stitches for closing me up

Baby

*Please hold baby up for me to see as soon as Baby's born
*Husband to announce Baby's gender (or maybe not announce gender at all and allow me to see for myself)
*Keep cord long for Hubby to cut
*No Eye Gel, No Hep. B vaccine. I will sign the waiver ahead of time.
*Please bring Baby close to me during measuring & weighing.

*If Baby is doing well medically, please bring Baby to me as soon as she is suctioned, weighed, and measured. Please do not worry about cleaning her up much before bringing her to me.
*I would like to hold Baby while Baby is being foot printed, getting bracelets on, and while the paperwork is being filled out.


Recovery

*Once back in our room to recover and been checked as stable, we would like to be alone with Baby to nurse.

*We would like to keep Baby with us at all times. If Baby must go to NICU due to medical reasons, my Husband will follow.

*If someone arrives to visit, please check with my husband or I as to whether we are up for company before allowing them in our room.

*Delay Baby's bath until the evening after Baby is born rather than bathing Baby right after birth. I had something similar to this on my 4th. birth plan, but the nurse still fought me on it. It had nothing to do with my baby's need to be bathed, it was due to her wanting to teach a student with her how to do the bathing. I refused, yet she continued to come in with the student and pressure me. I finally gave in after a few hours because I was tired of the guilt-trips the nurse was giving me.

*I am willing to be up and walking as soon as possible so I can get leg compressors off sooner

*I would like my Catheter out early the morning after surgery
*Baby will sleep with me in the hospital bed. While I am sleeping, there will be another adult in the room with Baby and I.
*I will be nursing on demand and whenever Baby is fussy to help stimulate my milk to come in and to soothe Baby.
*If the baby is a boy, ask us before setting a time for the circumcision. We may decide to wait an extra day or more before the procedure. If you decide to have your baby circumcised, make sure you discuss details, such as pain prevention and relief, and whether parents are allowed to stay with Baby during procedure ahead of time with your pediatrician.

Related:
*Why a Birth Plan is Important if You Have a C-Section
*Tips for Bringing Children to Visit Their New Sibling at the Hospital
*Tips for a Great C-Section Recovery


16 comments:

  1. Well done.

    I have yet to see a c-section birth plan at the hospital. It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've included all those in my birth plan under the title "should c-section be needed".

    Thanks for all the advice, though. It's nice to hear it from someone who's been through it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Most moms have a plan for a vaginal birth, but not a c-section. I had one for my 2nd, but not my first. She was an a unplanned emergency c-section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another idea - how about not having both your hands tied down on the table like you're mental or being crucified? That'll be in my contingency plan for my upcoming VBAC attempt. I hated it! I know not all hospitals do this, but it's worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous-
    I've never had my hands tied down, but yes, that is a good idea and is another reason why it is very important to talk with your hospital ahead of time about what their standard procedures are during a cesarean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! I am 35 wks pregnant with our 2nd child, and I am scheduled to have my first c-section at the end of September. I have been searching online for a concise and detailed birth plan for cesarian sections, and your example is perfect. Your blog includes so much info on c-sections. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for verbalizing and documenting my thoughts. I have a scheduled C-birth in 12 days, and am thrilled to have my baby with me immediately, nurse on the table, and have an opportunity to bond early. My first birth was almost 4 yrs ago, and I didn't get to meet my son until over 90 minutes had passed. This time will be different!
    (oh yeah, and I only have to be pregnant 11 more days!!!!!!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your blog!! I am 36 weeks and looking to go into my repeat c-section on the 22nd of Sept!! My last was 13 years ago with my twins:)
    I have totally forgotten the feeling and was re-living it with helpful knowledge through your blog!!

    Thnx Morgan!!
    tc
    -Sarah/Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you tell me why No Eye Gel, No Hep. B vaccine? I am first time pregnant and have no idea what you're talking about there. Also, why no bath after birth? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me why No Eye Gel, No Hep. B vaccine? And why no bath after birth? I'm a first time pregnant lady and haven't heard of this before. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ashely,

    I skipped the eye gel with my last two babies because I felt it was unnecessary because there was no risk of my husband or I having an STD, and because my baby was not being delivered vaginally.

    We skipped the Hep. B vaccine at birth because I could not think of any reason a newborn would need protection against Hep. B. In fact, even now at 21 months, his pediatrician is still not worried about having him get vaccinated for the Hep. B yet. It is troubling to me that they would give a newborn a shot like that that is completely unnecessary and potentially harmful. There is time to catch up on shots like that.

    As for the bath, that goes back to when I had my first and third. With my first, he was taken away to the nursery and bathed as soon as I was wheeled out of the O.R. With my 3rd., she wasn't taken out of the room, but the nurse decided to bathe her pretty shortly after birth while my husband was still making phone calls announcing the birth. With my 4th. and 5th, I wanted some time to bond with the babies before they were bathed. I felt like the bath was intrusive on our bonding time, so I let told the nurses that I would let them know when I was ready for it. It only took a couple hours before I was ready, but I felt like that was a lot nicer to have that time together snuggling after birth before having something (again unnecessary) done to my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After some more thought, it may have been my 3rd. and 5th. we skipped the eye gel. I was guilted into it with my 4th. With #5, there was no pressure from the nurse at all during our pre-birth appointment with the hospital. I simply signed a waiver.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering what you mean by reinforcing your uterus and about lidacaine before IV??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lidocaine is a small shot that numbs the area. I liked having it before the IV because it (in my opinion) hurt a lot less, especially if it took a couple tries to get the IV in well.

      My doctor said he reinforced my uterus, which was supposed to help my uterus be stronger in case I would have another pregnancy. With #5, I think he added something that was supposed to make things heal better too… after almost 3 years, I can't remember what that something was called.

      Delete
  14. I was wondering what you mean by reinforcing your uterus and about lidacaine before IV??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just came across this and thought it was very helpful! I am planning a birth center water birth but my baby is stubborn about turning head down so if I end up needing a c section I want to be prepared with a birth plan. I was wondering though, since I didn't see it mentioned, would you suggest an epidural or a spinal tap? and if it is an emergency c section do they give you a choice?

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.