Sunday, December 13, 2009

Preparing to Cloth Diaper a Newborn

Next year, I am looking forward to saving 100's of dollars by using cloth diapers on our new baby!  Some people may think cloth diapering sounds gross, but I think using cloth diapers is great!  I enjoy saving money and I like putting a nice soft and cute diaper on my babies.  It took me until I had my 4th. baby to consider cloth, but now I am hooked!

When I started cloth diapers in 2008, my 2 youngest children were 4 months and 1 1/2 years old.  Now my children are all potty trained.  Most of my cloth diaper stash held up and can be used for the new baby.  What I don't have, though, is diapers to fit an infant.

After asking advice from friends, reading countless reviews and opinions, and punching out the numbers to figure out what would be most cost-effective, here's what I plan to use:

*Thirsties Duo Wrap Size 1
I bought 5 of these covers. Size 1 fits Baby from 6lbs up to 18 (or 16)lbs.  If the baby is a girl, we will get at least 5 months of use out of the covers.  If the baby is a boy, we will be able to use them for about 3 months.




*Cloth-eez Prefolds
1 Dozen Orange Edge (newborn size)
2 Dozen Yellow Edge (small)






Cloth-eez are supposed to be super soft and seem to have a high resale value on cloth diaper swap sites.  I'm debating on whether to buy the regular cloth-eez or to pay a few dollars extra for the organic ones. 

I also need to find some cloth wipes.

For the covers, diapers, and shipping, it should cost less than $140 to diaper the baby for at least Baby's first 3 (maybe even 5) months of life!  Plus, I can resell the diapers when I'm done! 

If you used cloth diapers on a newborn, what type did you use?  Any advice on cloth diapering during the first few months?
Have any of you tried the Cloth-eez Organic prefolds?  If so, is it worth the few extra dollars to buy them?

8 comments:

  1. I definitely liked the thirsties covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never used that kind of diapers. Wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband put a veto on cloth diapers. I don't want to scare him, so I think we'll put it off until baby is bigger, and then I may get a few, just for home and see if it works for us.. One step at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you write this just for me??? I'm currently stocking up for our boy, and I'm planning on using Thirsties Duo Wraps size 1 while he's a newborn, with chinese-prefolds... then using Bumgenius AIO and Duo Wrap size 2 when he's bigger. GREAT post! Almost everyone tells me "You won't stick with cloth diapers, its so hard!" and I just tell them: I've got a plan, and I'm sticking to it! (Its mostly older folks, actually, who are grandparents. Geez, thanks for the encouragement people!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been intrigued with cloth diapers but never took the time to learn more about them. I am glad you are posting this information to make it easier for other women to learn and hopefully use them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had some great ones all those years ago that a friend would get us in Japan and have a relative send them here. They were contoured and wonderful. I used them inside a cover. I loved cloth diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mom had 6 babies in 7 years with cloth diapers and is not traumatized! What more is there to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look like some really great options. I recently had a cloth diaper discussion with a friend of mine. She is debating on whether or not to try them or not. I will be sure to pass this article along to her and some of the recommendations you have presented.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.