Thursday, January 7, 2010

Getting Ready to Make a Candy Land Cake


My youngest son is turning 5 next week, which means it's time to start thinking about his birthday cake.  For his last two birthdays, my son wanted an ambulance cake and a  fire truck cake.  This year he has requested a Candy Land cake.  It should be a lot of fun as there is a lot of room for creativity with the candy and design!

There are some great photos on the web of Candy Land cakes.  Using some of those ideas as a spring board, I've started sketching out my plans.  We've also started compiling some goodies to decorate the cake with.  Here's what we have so far: suckers, gum drops, sugar daddies, ice cream cones, licorice, gummy bears, whip cream, little candy canes, and green frosting.

The cake plans are still in process.  If you have an idea or suggestion on how to decorate any part of this cake, I'd love to hear it!  After the cake has been decorated (and eaten), I will share pictures as well as instructions on how it was made.

6 comments:

  1. I love that coolest cake site...I used it a lot when I was making Cole and Bella's b-day cakes last year!!

    Something I've been wanting to try is a frozen buttercream transfer. Here's a link that explains it...

    http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

    That would look really cool on a candyland cake. Maybe you could do the colored pathway like that and then add the candies after that.

    I'm sure whatever way you decide to decorate will be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the pictures! Happy Birthday to your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so Cool! I want one for my birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...my favorite game in cake form. I can't wait to see it. Never been to that site but you can bet I will be visiting.
    By the way, your blog is beautiful. I'm subscribing right after this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helene-

    I think I'm going to try the buttercream transfer. I will take pictures! Hopefully it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Did you make the cake yet? I would love to see how it turned out!

    Your blog is just wonderful!!! Your family is beautiful and I look forward to reading more and more!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.