Friday, January 15, 2010

How to Make a Candy Land Cake






This week I made my first Candyland Cake! It was a HUGE hit with my kids. So much in fact that my other 3 children are all requesting Candyland Cakes for their birthdays too.

The cake was fairly easy to make, but very time consuming. If you decide to make a cake like this, you will probably find it easiest to assemble the candy by looking at a Candy Land game board. Then just use whatever candies you want.

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, leave me a comment or e-mail and I'd be happy to answer them.
Candy Land Cake

Supplies:

*Wax Paper

*13x9 in. sheet cake (the one I used was 2 cakes put together- half yellow, half chocolate)

*Buttercream Frosting:
*Purple
*Pink
*Red
*Orange
*Yellow
*Green
*Blue
*Black
*Chocolate

Various Candies, such as:
*Gum Drops
*Mini-Candy Canes
*Itty Bitty Marshmellows
*Peanut Butter Brittle
*Gummy Bears
*Licorice strings
*Suckers
*Heath Candy Bits
*Small Ice Cream Cones
*Cotton Candy

Directions:
The day before my son's birthday, I made the cake and put a base coat of frosting over the entire outside of it. I then put the cake in the freezer for an hour or so to harden up a bit before decorating.

After pulling the cake back out, I started to make the background colors (grass, sky, mountains, ect.) using frosting.

I traced the outline of the cake pan onto wax paper. Inside of the cake shape I had just drawn, I sketched out the Candyland path making just a simple curvy line that copied the game board.




Using scissors, I cut the wax paper along the line I had drawn. I placed the wax paper cutout on top of the cake and made tiny frosting dots to make the path outline onto the cake. After the frosting outline was on, I removed the wax paper.

I touched up the background scene and started making the path and bridges using the buttercream frosting. I also placed some of the candies on that wouldn't go bad before the next day.


After everything seen in the picture below was completed, I stuck the cake in the fridge until the next day.

FYI- The candy assembly the next day went MUCH quicker than the pre-assembly work day.

The Day of the Party

The next day I pulled the cake out of the fridge and started assembling all the candy details. Candy Canes in the bottom right corner, along with some tiny marshmallows for snow.


I stuck suckers into some of the gum drops, made a castle using 2 ice cream cones, frosting (including red to make a cherry at the top), cotton candy, and 2 toothpicks stuck into the back for support.
In the right corner I made Queen Frosting's place using pink cotton candy.

A licorice bridge was made using pull and peel licorice twisted and stuck in place with frosting.


I sprinkled Heath candy along the side of the peanut butter brittle house.

To finish the cake off, I tore little pieces of cotton candy off stuck them all along the base of the cake.


Voila'! The cake was finished and the kids were thrilled!

14 comments:

  1. That is one of the cutest cakes I've ever seen! Totally impressive. No wonder they all want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome cake! Good on you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW!!! Fantastic cake!!! I'll have to email this to my sister, she makes cakes for people out of her home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How old are you...you look 18! The cake is worthy of smiles and happiness from any kid. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! It's ADORABLE!!! Any chance I could spotlight you this Tasty Tuesday on my blog??? I'd post your pictures, your wording, your button and a link to your site???

    This is honestly incredible!! And a joy to look at though - I don't think I could ever make it! I would have to guess this took you quite a few hours! Amazing!

    Courtney
    http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it!!! I will have to make this for E's 2nd birthday. And you look beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for a puppy cake idea and landed upon your site. Your cakes are so cute. I am trying my hand at cake making and enjoy finding great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Morgan...it looks amazing!!!! I love all the color and detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, that's an amazing cake!! I've never seen a Candyland cake before-- awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute idea for a cake- I can't count the number of times I've played this game over the years with my daughter. (I came over from One Pretty Thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am making a Candy land cake for my 3 kids joint birthday party. It is a great theme for boys and girls. You did an amazing job on your cake and gave me many great ideas for my kids cake! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a ton it is a wonderful help, now to make a candy land cake is without a doubt very easy by using your tips. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.