Monday, June 7, 2010

My 5th. C-Section Birth Story

Last Tuesday I had my 5th. c-section and gave birth to a healthy little boy. He was 8lbs 4.9 oz.
Out of 5 childbirths, this one was by far the best I've had. In the weeks leading up to the birth, I had spent time praying about everything I was worried about and I believe it helped a lot in staying calm before, during, and after birth.
My husband was able to photograph the birth and someone who worked in the maternity department video taped for us.
The anesthesiologist turned down the volume on the heart monitor- I don't even remember hearing it during the surgery at all, which was nice because listening to it had made me very nervous with the previous 2 c-sections. The nurses said it was okay for me to take an Ipod into the O.R., so I was able to listen to music in one ear (the other ear phone I left out to hear what was going on) to help me relax as they started the surgery.
When it was time to pull the baby out, they lowered the screen so that I could see the baby's head, but not my incision or anything like that. His head was already out at that point and he started to cry before he was even born : ) The doctor suctioned his nose and throat out real well while he was still mostly in the womb and I was able to watch the whole thing. And then for the first time I was able to see one of my baby's being born. It was amazing!
My baby was taken to the warmer and suctioned out some more and dried off well. Then the nurse weighed and measured him a few feet away from where I was so that I could watch. He was then bundled up and my husband carried him over by me so I could touch him too.
The doctor, nurses, and anesthesiologist continued to keep me updated on how I was doing during the rest of the surgery. They were very reassuring.
Once they were done stitching me up, the anesthesiologist took some pictures of my husband and I with the baby. They moved me onto a different bed and then I was wheeled back to my room (no recovery room- just straight back to my regular room) with my baby lying next to me. There was no separation from my baby at all.
As soon as we were in the room, the nurse helped me get skin to skin with the baby so that I could have the baby nurse. He ended up nursing great right away!
We waited on having Baby bathed until the afternoon, and when they did clean him up, they did it in our room so I was able to watch.
My mother and father-in-law came with our other children to meet the baby about 6 1/2 hours after he was born. The kids were excited to meet their new little brother!
The rest of my recovery went really well. My uterus clamped down right away, so no problems with clotting or excessive bleeding. I had fantastic nurses and a wonderful hospital stay. I feel MUCH better than when I was pregnant, (I was in a huge amount of pain the last 8 weeks of pregnancy).
Despite all the contractions I had had for weeks/months leading up to the birth (including contractions 3 min. apart during the 2 hours leading up to the c-section), as well as the immense pain along my lower abdomen during the past month, my uterus wasn't all that thin and actually looked okay. I shouldn't have worried so much about it.
My baby is 6 days old now and is a healthy little guy. My milk came in either yesterday or the night before. It hasn't been any problem getting up and down stairs as I was afraid it would be. My incision still hurts- it's feels like a giant paper cut. However, the pain isn't too noticeable when I take the pain meds.
So after 3 really stressful births and 1 good birth experience (my 3rd. baby), I finally had one where everything went as perfect as can be.

32 comments:

  1. so glad to hear it went well. when the incision is healed you make a massage oil with sweet almond oil and essential oil of rose, helicrysum, and frankincense and massage the scar. the rose tones the uterus and surrounding ligaments, the frankincense and heli help break up scar tissue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing how a c-section can be focused on mom & baby closeness/bonding. Glad to hear your milk is in & baby is nursing well. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I hope you are both doing well. You have such a beautiful family -- love the pic with the whole gang.. so sweet! :)
    Take care!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad it all went so well!!! :) How wonderful to have a good memory to remain on (I think you mentionned this could be your last baby).
    Your family looks so happy! :) I hope that everyone adjusts well to the new baby, what a beautiful name!
    thanks also for sharing tips and all your preparation work it is really good to go in with a birthplan, I can realize how much thanks to you!
    enjoy your time with baby shephard and all your family!
    congrats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Wow baby #5! Shepherd is a beautiful name. Happy to hear everything went well. Hope both of you are doing well. Enjoy baby Shepherd and get lots of rest (if at all possible with 5)

    http://joannabotelho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!!!! Congratulations to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Glad to hear that everything is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations from Switzerland! and please don't stop writting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow it sounds like the perfect c/section birthing experience. I hope my next one (will be my 3rd) is as great as yours.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful news! I've been watching your story as I'm a repeat c-section mom as well. Always inspirational to read your blog. Congrats on your new baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you that this birth experience was so positive and family/mother-friendly. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. COngratulations! A good birth is a beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHOA! That's amazing! Congratulations! (Look what I miss when I neglect my Google reader for a few days!!!) I am so very happy that everything went smoothly for you guys. Hooray!

    Enjoy your babymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! What a little angel. I am so happy for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Glad it went so well. I am stopping by from the mom bloggers club. Since you just had a baby you might be interested in my baby shower event with lots of baby stuff giveaways July 5th-26th. You can find my blog at http://hiptips4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so thrilled that you were able to have a perfect birth! He is beautiful and your family is adorable! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im so glad it went well. Congratulations on your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a wonderful experience. I am so happy for you :)

    Your little Shepherd is just adorable !!!

    After the conversations we have had through out the past year I could not be more delighted to read this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience! You are one very seasoned c-section mama!

    The baby is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chiming in late here. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the baby!!! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on your latest addition. I love the name you chose for him:0. found your blog on the mom's who blog website:).

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is amazing! I hear just how difficult a c-section is and I cannot imagine doing it 5 times.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! I've never had a C-section but my 5th childbirth was by far the best! =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. HEY MORGAN JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS FOR GIVING ME COMFORT. I HAVE A HAD 4 C-SECTIONS MYSELF N NOW IM PREGNANT WITH #5 AND IM SURE I'LL BE GETTING ANOTHER BUT I WAS A LITTLE SCARED.... THANKS BTW MY CHILDREN R 8,6,5,AND, 2 BUT ALL OF THEM WILL BE A YEAR OLDER THIS YR... SO BY THE TIME I HAVE C SECTION #5 IN MAY IT WILL BE 3YRS SINCE THE LAST ONE.... IM A YOUNG PARENT AND I HEALED FAST WITH ALL PREVIOUS ONES ALSO, SO HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING GO AS SMOOTH... THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT......

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Morgan,

    Loved your story. It's a favorite that I added to my latest blog post on favorite C-Section stories here:

    http://worry-free-c-section.com/blog/1524/a-few-of-my-favorite-c-section-stories/

    Elizabeth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thats ispiring, but was your utures thin? I'm pregnant with #6 and it will be my 5th c section. My uterus was paper thin last time I am told, so I'm very nervous and unsure of what to think/hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

    My uterus was thin with my 2nd. and 4th. c-sections, but my doctor said it was fine with this last one (#5) even though my baby was almost a pound heavier than #4. I think waiting longer (2 years between pregnancies this time rather than 6-9 months like with my previous pregnancies) helped.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your story has helped me with some of my nerves. I have 4 children all were c-sections they are 10,6,4, and 7 months I am currently pregnant with baby number 5 and I am scared to death about what could go wrong. But my drs never said anything bad about my uterus being thin or scar tissue honestly my last dr was suppressed at how well and fast I healed. It's nice to see other women have 4+ c-sections because the net is plastered with negative information. Thank you for your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for this. Your story has helped me so much as well. I have 4 children all born via c-section. They are ages 9, 7, 4 & 12 months. I really want another child. It's so hard because my family thinks I will die if I have another c-section. I've never had a single complication and my last c-section recovery was my easiest! You've given me hope! I really needed to read this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for posting this! We are currently TTC our fifth, and it will be our fifth c-section! It's good to see others having big families via c-section as well!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave your comment here.

And just so you know, all spammer comments will be deleted.